On Monday July 13th, Larry Faerman, the interim Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, alongside several other faculty and staff members, hosted the first of four WebEx discussions for students to provide “candid feedback that is directly related to the race/ethnicity from which they identify”. The overall goal of this series is to “build the next steps of a better experience for our current and future FAU students”. The sessions are split up by race: Students Identifying as Black/African American: Monday, July 13 from 4 – 5:30 PM Students Identifying as Hispanic/Latinx: Tuesday, July 14 from 4 – 5:30 PM Students Identifying as White/Caucasian: Wednesday, July 15 from 4 – 5:30 PM Students Identifying as Asian, American Indian, Pacific Islander, and International: Thursday, July 16 from 4 – 5:30 PM To facilitate the conversation, Faerman asked guiding questions to the audience which had a total of 36 people. These questions included:This article was originally published at www.theparadigmpress.com
- What does diversity mean to you?
- What have your organizations done in response to the recent killing of George Floyd and other black individuals?
- How are the members of your respective organizations feeling relative to their physical/mental health; environment in their own communities?
- What specific changes would black students like to see?
- What are ways that you feel FAU is not an inclusive environment?